St. Nicholas Church, Sevnica

Kraj: Sevnica
Škofija: Celje
Župnija: Sevnica
Občina: Sevnica
Koordinate: lon = 15° 18' 56'' E lat = 46° 0' 25'' N
Nadmorska višina: 185 m

The parish church of St. Nicholas is a large three-nave basilica-based church of extremely powerful dimensions and, with its comprehensive treatment of the interior, is one of the most important sacral architectures of its time. The present parish church is at least the third church to stand at this location. It is not known when the first church was built, but it is first mentioned in written sources in 1417 as the Chapel of St. Nicholas in Sevnica. That the church was dedicated to St. Nicholas, the patron saint of boaters and fishermen, is understandable, since Sevnica lies along the Sava River, which was the main boat traffic route in the Middle Ages. On Pentecost Sunday, June 4, 1854, the parish church burned down in a large fire that destroyed the town of Sevnica. The present parish church was built in 1861–1862. In 1909 the church was given colored windows, and in the same year the church was painted by the Friulian painter Osvald Bierti from Gemona. The church has five altars. The high altar from 1884 is dedicated to St. Nicholas, the left altar to the Feast of the Cross, and the right altar to Our Lady of the Rosary. The last two are both from 1862. In addition to these, there is an altar of Our Lady of Lourdes from 1893 in the north side nave, and an altar of the Sacred Heart of Jesus from 1903 in the south side nave. 

(Source: https://sevnica.donbosko.si/zupnija/zupnijska-cerkev-sv-nikolaja-v-sevnici/)